Irregular pounding sensation in carotid pulse, taking Zopicline 7.5 mg on regular basis. Causes ?

I take Zopicline 7.5 mg on a regular basis (once per day). For over 3 months my heartrate is averaging 96 (usually 68) and I can feel an irregular and pounding sensation with my pulse - especially the carotid pulse. Any answers to what might be causing this. I am 59, no medical history and not taking anything else. No added stress and I am very active. I work nightshifts and so the Zopiclone so I can sleep during the day
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012