Irregular periods with heavy bleeding. Is it a menopause stage?

Hi I am just 48, and have always had regular as clock work periods since the age of 13. I come on roughly every 28 days and it last for 7days. A couple of months ago I came on early (21 days) and this month I have been bleeding for 14 days, with no signs that iots stopping. It looked after 7days that it would stop, and then on the 8th day just started again and has continued ever since-- almost as tho I d had 2 concurrent periods? Is this normal and linked to my age and the menopause do you think...i have had no pain
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013