Irregular periods, spotting in between, lower abdominal discomfort, pelvic examination, left ovary enlarged, ultrasound, pregnancy test negative. Cyst?

What is going on with my period/body? For the past few months my period has decided to become unpredictable and off. It started a few months ago when I had light spotting 6 days after ovulation . This lasted for 6 day and was extremely light. (Wouldn t be anywhere near enough to fill a light days pad) then my period came over a week late and was brown and very light lasting only 3 days. (normal is heavy for 3 then light for 2) The same thing has repeated the next two months. My schedule is getting more and more stretched out. A 28 day cycle has turned into 36 days (with odd intermittent spotting 5-6 days post ovulation (i m assuming)) Each one is lighter than the last. Just got my period again today (8 days late) and it has already stopped after only a brief 1 hour of spotting. I also have been feeling nauseous to the point of nearly throwing up the past few weeks and Ive had a bit of lower abdominal discomfort. I had a pelvic exam 2 weeks ago. The doctor told me she thought that my left ovary was enlarged and instructed me to get an ultrasound done of it. She also recomended a pregancy test. (I took one the first month my period was late and came back with one negative and one inconclusive.) I wont be able to have an ultra sound done for a month so in the mean time I m looking for theories on what could be going on because I m tired of feeling like crap. Should I go get a pregnancy test? Could it be a cyst?
Asked On : Wed, 23 May 2012