Irregular periods, prolonged bleeding, period pain. Urine, blood tests normal. Treatment?

hi there, ive been on and off my periods since i was nine years old. i cant understand why im on all the time, i have one day off a month? can you help or suggest anything. ive been to the doctors but my blo9ods and wee samples came back normal. but lately ive had severe pains and my perioods come out black and lumpy. ?
Asked On : Sat, 1 Sep 2012
Jan 2016
Hallow Dear,

How young are you? If you are still in the menarchal age, the irregularity of the menstruation is expected. It takes few years after menarche to regularize the menses.

However, if you have passed that age, then from your history, it appears that you are having dysfunctional uterine bleeding. This is due to hormonal imbalance in the girls. The fact that you are having pain suggests that you are forming the egg, but still the menses are irregular.

Birth control pills usually taken regularly and cyclically for 3 months regularize the menses. If they continue to be still irregular after this course, your hormonal assays for Oestrogen, Progesterone, FSH, LH and Prolactin may have to be done to assess the hormonal status. Also Thyroid function test will have to be done as in teen age, hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) is known to occur and cause heavy bleeding with irregularity.

Are you overweight - particularly the abdomen:Waist ratio more? This suggests PCOS.

Report to your Gynaecologist and undergo three months course of birth control pills. Still if the irregularity and/heavy bleeding persist, you will have to undergo many investigations mentioned above.

Had you mentioned which all investigations have been performed on your blood with the reports, I would have appreciated. You can still do that by asking me direct question.

I hope this will help you to take initial steps.