Irregular periods after given birth, was on depo shot, having light bleeding and spotting. What could be the cause?

I had irregular periods after the birth of my son 5 years ago and after that I tried the pill and the patch . I went on the Depo shot eventually and stayed with that for about 3 years. I went off the depo shot in April 2011 because my husband and I want to get pregnant and finally regained menstruation in December 2011. Ever since December, my periods have been irregular. Recently I had a heavy period for a week, then the following two weeks I ve been have very light bleeding and spotting and it is still going. What could be causing this?
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012