Irregular periods. Prescribed eltroxin. Thyroid test shows low T4 value. Advisable to stop medication?

Hi Dr, I have been on Eltroxin for 2 months and I still don t feel better, in fact I now have irregular periods which I didn t have before. I phoned the doctor and told her and she asked me to go for the test for T4 again. It was still low so she has now instructed me to stop taking the Eltroxin for 1 week and then tell her how I feel when I see her next week. I don t want to second-guess her but I m curious. Why would she do that?
Asked On : Fri, 19 Oct 2012