Irregular periods. Discolored menstruation. Stopped taking the birth control pills. Could it be the reason?

I m 33 and have been off the pill for 6 mths now. My husband and I have not been trying for a baby - our lives are too busy to consider when the right time of the cycle is, etc. My concern is is that I have been experiencing weird periods. Some lasting 3 days others lasting 6 / 7. Then sometimes they start 5 odd days early and the month thereafter 9 days late. On Xmas eve I got my period 7 days early for 3 days. Then started spotting on new years eve. It s 16 days later and I am still bleeding . I ve been wearing pads and have noticed some days are light whilst others are heavy. The strange thing is is the blood is black and thick. When I go to the loo the toilet paper shows a dark blood and this is not easily absorbed by the pads. I m 56 kg and healthy. Exercise 3 times a week and live a pretty normal life. What is going on?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013