Irregular heavy periods with cramps, 33 yrs old with no issue. What is happening ?

I am 33 years old and my husband and I have no children but, we are hoping to have them some day. I have always had really heavy periods and also bad cramps . My period are usually 7 days from start to finish. Well, October 5th I had gotten my period and on October 10th, my period ended. So, I wasn t expecting my next period until November 1st but, on the 24th day from my last period which I had gotten on Oct. 5th, I started my period again and now I am on my 9th day. Do you think there might be something going on? Should I schedule an appointment?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Jan 2016
Hallow Dear,

Any period bleeding up to 7 days is considered as normal if it is regular. However, if you are experiencing intermenstrual bleeding and the bleeding is associated with pain, you have to undergo thorough examination and some investigations to diagnose the causative factor.

Such incidences happen if there is some tumour in the uterus (Fibroid) or Swelling of the uterus and/or pelvis (PID). This may cause some adhesions in the pelvis and result in infertility. Clinical examination with ultrasonography might be revealing the cause.

The swelling may require a course of antibiotics with anti-inflammatory medicines. If there are adhesions, they have to be broken surgically. If there is fibroid, the treatment depends up on the size and location of fibroid. They can be removed by laparoscopic surgery or open surgery.

Once this issue is sorted out, you may have to undergo investigations to find out any other causes for infertility. During laparoscopy, the patency of the genital tract can be assessed. Ultrasonography and study of uterine lining can give the evidence of egg release. In addition, get semen examination of your husband done to find out normalcy of sperms.

I hope this gives you initial guidelines. For further advice, you may ask me Direct Question with all the investigations.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri