Irregular heartbeats, light head, felling of pulse strongly in throat

Every now and again I have an irregular heartbeat, which is quite uncomfortable but not painful. It makes me feel a little light-headed and I can feel my pulse strongly in my throat , but apart from that I m ok. It s very difficult to explain because it changes all the time - it will do a few repetitions of one rhythm and then change to another, or just one strange beat and then change. It carries on like that for hours sometimes. At the moment it s doing a handful of beats where you get a normal bum-bum followed by a shallow, faster bum-bum, every beat, then change. The other rhythm is where my heart will miss a beat, and then do a hard beat, this can be just one or carry on for ages. I ve told my doctor about this (well, sort of mentioned it) and without even enquiring about what the symptoms are she just told me it was normal. I m quite aware that if there was anything seriously wrong then I would probably be very ill, but does anyone else recognise these symptoms? Can anyone reassure me please?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009