Irregular bleeding, had spotting during periods, later blood only on wiping. Could it be menopausal symptoms?

I have had a regular cycle for the past 3 years without any concerns but the last two months I have been experiencing irregular bleeding. I had unprotected sex and thought I was pregnant but the HPT and blood pregnancy test were both negative. I know last month I was on my cycle it lasted 4 days and then stopped and this month the first 2 days I only spotted on the sanitary napkin but lately I only see blood when I wipe. I know that vaginal bleeding has a lot to do with hormonal balance and since I am 47 years old could I be experiencing menopausal symptoms? The irregular cycles did not start until after I had sex. I was wondering do I need to make an appointment to my ob/gyn to have my symptoms checked to see if it could be something worse or wait to see if my monthly cycle ends to check things out?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013