Iron deficiency, anemia. CBC smear test shows positive Anisopoikilocytosis, Microcyte. Serious condition?

my CBC smaer examination reads RBC Morphology: Anisopoikilocytosis++, Microcyte++, hypochromia++, Elliptocytes, tear drop cells & polychromasia seen. W.B.C: within normal limits. Platelets: Adequate on smear. Parasites on smear: not seen Impression: S/O Iron deficiency Anemia what does it mean and is it a serious condition. I am 31 tears old.
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012
dear friend, welcome to HCM.
iron deficiency anaemia is an extremely common condition and not that serious unless neglected and anaemia results in heart failure etc.

it is due to nutritional deficiency of iron or blood loss.
do you have excess menstrual bleed or other bleeds? black stools?

have they ruled out occult GI bleed by stool occult blood test?
do you have swollen feet? breathless?
pl. get detailed evaluation done and take appropriate treatment under medical supervision. it is easily treatable usually.
take care and keep me posted.