Involuntary scratching of head during sleep, find blood on the pillow in the morning. What could be wrong?

I have been, for some time, experiencing some strange happenings while sleeping. With increasing frequency (around once or twice a week now) I scratch my head while asleep. It is an involuntary scratch. And scratch is a fairly light way to put it. It appears I scrape my scalp (I am bald) with one or more fingers. Some scrapes are deeper than others. Sometimes it is just a small gash. Others it is a couple inch long scrape. At times, I wake up in the morning to find blood on my pillow. I never wake up when I do this and have no idea that I am doing it. I am keeping my nails trimmed as short as possible in hopes that this will help, but to no avail. What is wrong with me? Is this a sleep (medical) issue or a mental issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012