Involuntary finger and body movements especially at night. Possible causes ?

My husband who is 57 has for the past two years has involuntary finger and body movements especially at night. It starts as he is falling asleep and continues all night so that as he twitches and his hands move it causes a jolt sometimes and disturbs both of our sleep. Sometimes it is his whole body but mostly his hands. It also happens during the day. Ie his hand is resting on a table or the steering wheel of the car . It is constant and is usually the index finger . He says he is not aware that he does it and can t seem to control it. it is exacerbated by intake of sugary foods. It has become a real problem to both of us as we are not sleeping well. Sleeping in separate beds is not the answer. We need to find out what is causing it.I hope you can help us. Kind regards AAAAA
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013