Intermittent pain post root canal. Pain feels like brain freeze. Normal?

Had a root canal approx. 18 days ago on the second to last molar upper, I am still having pain intermittently. My dentist tells me this has nothing to do with procedure he did ad will not see me, just prescribed antibiotics , seems odd to me. The pain feels like brain freeze however the pain is not brought on by temperature. This is the est way I ca describe the pain. During the procedure he said he maxed out on local ad I do have some minor residual numbness i my cheek and upper lip as well. Is this normal?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013