Intermittent clutching pain on the back of head upto neck, stroke ruled out. What could the cause be?

For 2 days now (I am a 70 yr old woman) I ve had a clutching sort of pain in the right side of the back of my head, up from my neck Went to Emergency and they tested me for a stroke but couldn t find any reason. It is as though someone is squeezing inside my head. My neck is stiff, the top vertebrae is painful as are the vertebrae below it, painful to touch. The squeezing type of pain lasts 7 seconds, there is a reprieve of about 30 seconds and then it goes again. Otherwise I am well. Annie
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013