Intermittent blood in stools, do not have it during loose stools, take healthy diet. Any home remedies?

Hi I have been experiencing bright red blood in my stool on and off for a couple of months. I have not seen the doctor because it goes away and comes back. I have a very healthy, vegetarian diet and drink Metamucel every day. I have no pain. When I have a loose stool, there is never blood. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do at home to help?
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Hello and welcome.

First you need to understand the sign of fresh blood in the stool is a sign of a lower GIT (gastrointestinal tract) bleed.

The various reasons for this can be the following:

-Angiodysplasia (vascular malformation of the gut)
-Colitis (inflammation of inner lining of the colon)
-Hemorrhage (bleeding from a ruptured blood vessel inside the colon)
-Hemorrhoids (swollen vein or group of vessels around the anus)
-Lower GIT ulcers
-Irritable bowel syndrome (consisting of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease)
-Infectious diarrhea
-Diverticulosis (diverticula in the intestine) A diverticula is a hollow out-pouching of the lining of a structure

And many more. In my opinion, if the bleeding has been intermittent, then the cause is still present, and causes bleeding only on triggering.

My advice would be to schedule a doctors appointment, preferably a gastroenterologist and discuss the possibilities after he/she examines you, although a colonoscopy would also greatly help in visualizing and locating the cause.

I hope I have succeeded in answering your questions, you could write back to us anytime for further clarifications.

Best wishes.