Intense stomach pain, overweight, using treadmill. Why is this happening?

I have just had a call from my 23 year old son. He has recently changed his diet from one of ++ food including a lot of pasta and carbs to one with largely protein and fruits and vegetables. He is overweight and has also begun running on the treadmill. This has been a change effective this past Sat. He has had to leave work with intense stomach pain. He says he does not need to go to the bathroom. I suggested he lay down and see how it is in the next little while but if it gets worse he needs to see a doctor? Your thoughts?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013