Intense sore throat, pressure causing difficulty in swallowing saliva, no relief with home remedies. OTC medicines?

I ve had a sore throat for 3 days now. No fever. No cough. No headaches. No sinus pressure. I can barely swallow water much less eat soup or anything easy. My voice keeps coming and going. I ve tried cough syrup , gargling warm salt water, cough drops, drinking warm tea with Ginger and honey . Nothing eases it. It basically feels like I have a water balloon in my throat and as the day wears on, it feels like it s closing up ... but it doesn t. The pressure I feel makes swallowing my own saliva painful. Getting a doctor appointment would take at least a week and I could really use some over the counter suggestions. Please and thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jun 2012