Intense scalp itching with swelling post using hair lightener. Reactions continue even after taking Benedryl. Suggestion?

Hello, I am in my 60 s and have been lightening my hair via a stylist since I was about 16 years old. In the last few years I seem to be reacting negatively to the lightener. After about an hour I notice an aggressive itching on my scalp and later I can tell that my scalp is swollen. I have been using benodryl but am a little worried about continued reactions. Can you give me additional insight. Sincerely, Marcia Kellen
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jun 2012