Intense pain in the elbow after hitting it badly. Varied diagnosis of staph infection with MRSA and bursitis with secondary cellulitis, taking bactrim and keflex. How long will it take to recover?

Two weeks ago this Thursday, I woke up at 3 am with intense pain in my left elbow . I couldn t hardly move it. It hurt so bad, I almost drove myself to the ER. I had a red, hot, golf ball sized lump on my elbow. I was confused. About 4-5 days prior I had hit my elbow on the corner of my counter and got a tiny cut, but I was sure I hadnt broke anything, now this. So, I call and go to my PCP. He says I have a staph infection. He begins treating me for both MRSA and staph with bactrim and keflex. He also did an X-ray , just to be sure (of which was normal). Note: he did not attempt a culture. On the following Monday night, I spiked a fever. It was only 100, but since I had this staph infection , I was concerned. So I called the on-call. They said to go to be ER. At the ER, the doctor said I did not have a staph infection, but rather had bursitis with secondary cellulitis . This was a week ago today. I have continued the bactrim and the keflex but have these questions...I ve been on both abx, Advil , and ice round the clock but I still have a bright red elbow That is hot to the touch, painful, and itches. I can t put my elbow on the table and put Any weight on it. I know I need to see an Ortho, I ve just been putting it off. Can you tell me how long it can take for those symptoms to go away? And, will/can they go away on their own? Lastly, is cellulitis contagious? Thanks a ton! -tiff
Asked On : Sat, 14 Jul 2012