Intense itching and hives, on medicines, no relief, niece also has same problem. Hereditary?

I have recently looked into the symptoms of dermagraphia.I am sure that I have it.My skin itches intensley and when I scratch I get large red hives ,I can write my name with a pen that has a cap on it and it will welt up in a hive.I have been taking zyrtec once a day every day but I am still experiencing intense itching and hives.Is there any other medicine I can take to help me? I am 36 years old I have had this problem for about a year now.My neice is 3 years old and was recently diagnosed with the same thing could this be hereditary?
Asked On : Wed, 29 Aug 2012