Intense headache, red eye, weakness, pain in left side of body. What is wrong?

My father had an intense headache last night, and woke up this morning with his the sclera of his left eye completely red, as well as weakness and pain in the left side of his body, and an all over feeling of being unwell. He said he took a nap and the pain and weakness are mostly gone, but the red in his eye is still there. He is almost 63 years old and has been a smoker for the majority of his life. I told him he should go to the hospital and get checked out, but he doesn t think he should be concerned.
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012