Intense agitation, memory loss after medically induced coma for blood loss during aorta aneurysm. Is it due to medicines or brain damage?

My mother in law was put in a medically induced coma for losing a lot of blood during her arota aneurysm surgery after 5 days woke up but is very agitated. We are not sure if this is from the meds or if she had some brain damage from loss of blood to brain. She recognises family but does not remember why she is in the hospital. Can the doctors do a test to determine if any brain damage has occurred?
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012