Insect bites have swollen and appear to be spreading, worsened after IM antihistamine. Which specialist should be consulted?

My wife was bitten by a flying insect, possibly a mosquito; now the two bites have sweeled up and appear to be spreading along her arm . I took her to the doctor yesterday evening and was administered an IM antihistamine... but this morning it seems actually worst. She does not have fever , but the bites are hot to the touch, and have appeared to have spread. What type of doctor should we aim to visit?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
your wife has been stung by insect and this has resulted in inflammation and swelling is due to super added infection.
she needs a course of antibiotic and analgesic anti inflammatory drugs besides antihistiminics
you can consult dermatologist or surgeon.
Hope i answered the question.
Dermatologist Dr. Ajit Singh's  Response
As you said some flying insect has bitten your wife, then it must be a case of insect bite hypersensitivity. Along with antihistaminic, steroid therapy and prophylactic antibiotic may be needed.
Do not manipulate the lesions and take quick opinion of a dermatologist.