Injury to shin causing a swelling and pain. No hair growth in the area. Need treatment?

I slid and hit my shin very hard about a month ago. A few days after i hit it I had +2 pitting edema from the pointi hit (just below the knee ) down to my ankle. The edema improved, with just slight swelling left. However I am not growing hair on the area that hit now. There is a hard boney feeling bump along my shin as well. I do not have medical insurance but do have an accident policy. Have I waites to long to be seen at the ER? Do Ineed to see a doctor or give it more time to heal? It is not painful to walk but the area hit is still very sore.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013