Injury to back, intense pain on the right of rib, pain on breathing, coughing and sneezing. Cause?

40 years old- smoker... I was helping a friend cut down tree limbs and thought that I would help it along and it snapped. I was hanging on the tree limb when it came down and fell on my back. I definitely got the wind knocked out of me. My back hurts a little bit but my rib on the right side hurts the most. Could I have cracked a rib. It hurts to breathe in, cough , sneeze , etc...
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
you do need to get an xray chest (AP and lateral view) done. also get an x ray LS spine (AP and lateral). after getting the reports see a physician to see whether you may need a CT thorax to rule out any underlying pathology