Injury on the side of penis head, pain during erection since. Any ideas?

My boyfriend of 18 years injured himself on the side of the head of the penis during sex. We were in the missionary position, but I had one leg bend, rather than straight, due to a knee injury. The other leg pointed straight up. The sex was not rough , but he thought that maybe he put his penis in too far. He said that he could feel something in there . I am not using anything( diaphram, etc.). He developed a reddish swelling , but there was no pop sound. His penis still hurts during an erection . There was never any blood or difficulty while urinating; it only hurts when he gets an erection. The swelling is almost gone now. I had myself checked out to insure that my cervix had not dropped ( I am 52), but everything is fine. My boyfriend has never experienced any penis injury up until now. Any ideas? We are not having sex now.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013