Injured ring finger with swelling and pain. No fracture. How long will it take to heal?

I injured my left ring finger 6 weeks ago when it got caught in my dogs collar. It immediately swelled and I iced it, but the next evening the swelling and pain increased to the point I decided to go the ER. The doctor wrapped it in rubber to reduce the swelling and proceeded to twist and pull my rings off. My wedding rings are a size 4.5 and 5 and my knuckle was extremely swollen, so trying to get my rings off was one of the most painful experiences I have ever had. An X-ray was done and there was no evidence of a fracture.
I followed his advice and continued to ice it and kept it wrapped in gauze for 3 days. Five weeks later it still was very sore and swollen, so I decided it was time to see an orthopedic doctor who explained to me that it was a torn ligament and it may take another 6 weeks to heal. He told be to buddy tape it until I go back to him in 3 weeks for another evaluation. It has taped for 1.5 weeks and still no improvement i am woried that it isn't going to heal. Do you think it should be splinted and is it possible it won't completely heal?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013