Injured right tonsil, cold, persistent cough, pain on swallowing, swollen tonsil. Medical attention required?

Hello, My 5 year old jabbed his right tonsil with a drinking straw a couple of weeks ago. We had him gargeling salt water and it seemed like it had healed. He is now just getting over a cold and has a lingering cough . He complained that the same spot he had hurt now hurt when he swallowed or coughed. I looked in his throat with a flashlight and his tonsil is enlarged and has a few blood vessels right on top of them. The left one is fine. Could this be serious? Perhaps a symptom of the virus he s had? Don t want to let it go if it needs immediate attention. Thank You!
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013