Injured knee during sports. Swollen and painful. Why has pain spread to toe, foot and hip?

Hi, 3 weeks ago I injured my knee during basketball. Within 4 hours it got pretty big and painful and I could not stand on it. I went immediately to the doctor and I was advised to have a photo made in the hospital, to check if the bones are all intact- which was fine, and to get some cruches. Those were very helpful in the first week and after a while I could walk without them. Now I can pretty much bend and stretch my leg partially, but I walk incorrectly and I feel I need coaching (physiootherapy). The doctor insists it can do more harm, as it is not sure what the problem is exactly. That after 3, 5 weeks! Meanwhile I ve got terrible pain in the toes and foot (same leg) and since 2 days terrible pain in the opposite hip, could it be a joint or so? I feel the pain when seated, when standing, when I make turning movements, when walking... Any idea what that can be and how I can make sure it does not get worse? Thanks a lot!
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012