Injured knee cap post fall, difficulty in walking, pain upto toes. Is it serious?

My son fell on a inch and a half long nail and it went all the way into his knee cap.We took him to a doctor who really did nothing and said he was fine. The problem is that it has been two days and his knee is swollen. He is having trouble walking and he says it hurts almost to the very top of his leg down to his toes.Should I seek another opinion?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
A penetrating injury to the knee, should not be taken lightly. The description given suggests a collection of fluid, (blood) inside the knee. Thus there is a swelling and a pulling sensation, pain spreading unto the toes.
So, please do get in touch with the Ortho fro an adequate assesment.
In the interim you should put the child on bes rest with no weight bearing, keep the knee in a semi-flexed position, ( partially bent,achieved by keeping a rolled towel, below the knee.) A cold compress( crushed ice in a plastic Bag) for local fomentation along with paracetamol would be helpful.