Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Injured knee, MRI shows fractured patella, small joint effusion, ligaments intact. Would conducting a surgery after a month cause harm?

My 16 yr. old son injured his knee playing dodgeball trampoline. MRI shows a fractured patella with one larger bone fragment displaced measuring 1.8 cm x 7 mm with articular cartilage attached, along with a smaller bone fragment, displaced, also containing a portion of the articular cartilage. There is a large amount of joint effusion and a moderate amount of debris . However the ligaments seem to be intact. The orthopedic doctor has scheduled surgery for Feb. 13th which is a full month after the injury. I am concerned that waiting that long after the injury to do surgery will be a mistake. I believe that we have been stalled from the beginning because of referral authorizations needed because of the crappy HMO insurance we have. I would like to know if waiting a full month (vs. having surgery sooner) is a mistake or if I should push to have the surgery date sooner than that. Also, my son believes that he should be allowed to walk, drive, etc. right now (and up until the surgery date) without restriction (he currently wears a hinged brace and uses a cane). I think too much walking-type of pressure on the injured knee could be a mistake. The doctor says that he should do stretching exercises but I think that is very different than putting weight on that leg. My son and I disagree.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
patella fractures has an orthopedic classification that permits management depending on the fragment size, displacement and soft tissue distruction. This classification takes in account emergency notions to avoid mixing case with immediate actions.

So it will be better to believe that the orthopedic doctor have taken a decision refering to the common AO classification and best think that a period of this cannot cause a problem but give enough time for both the two parties to get prepared.

Answered: Sun, 10 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor