Injured foot while running. Physical therapy helped healing. But why does my feet pain now?

Hello, I injured my foot running in February of 2011. It wasn t immediate, but over the course of a few weeks that it went from tingling to barely able to walk on. I was told I had a stress fracture in my 5th toe , yet a week later was told I didn t have a fracture when a new xray was done. I was told to stay off my foot for 6 weeks to let it heal and to limit hard exercise for 12 weeks. I did this and my foot still hurt. In July 2011, an MRI was done. There was a possible neuroma found, but nothing else. My doctor performed a cortisone shot. In January 2012, the pain started again, but it was more of a tingle at first. In February 2012, I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle and injured my foot again. I was once again told that it was fractured by the doctor but the report did not indicate a fracture. I wore a walking boot for 6 weeks and did physical therapy for 4 weeks. My ankle has healed completely, however my foot still hurts terribly. I began seeing a podiatrist in February and he said to come back after therapy if it still bothered me. I did go back in May 2012 as the injury was worse than ever. I still had the bruise from the fall in February and the pain was as severe. He did another cortisone shot as the last one worked so well and did another MRI. The MRI showed the possible neuroma had shrunk significantly. He stated that was due to the shot.. He said if it began hurting again, he would do surgery to remove the neuroma as the xrays and MRI s don t indicate anything else. My symptoms include: pain whenever I am on my feet. The pain is between my 4th and 5th toe. The pain started as a tingle/burning sensation and now is indescribable as it is so bad that it stops me in my tracks. I have done nothing more than walking since February 2011 as it is too painful to run, dance, etc anymore. I have a bruise that recurs chronically, and has since February, with no additional injury to my foot. The bruise begins right next to my 5th toe joint. It is about an inch in diameter and also goes about a half inch up my pinky toe. My question: At this point, I m not sure if surgery is the best option as it doesn t seem like anything is certain. I have stayed off my foot, done physical therapy, bought special shoes, and ice it a few times a day. I am afraid to have surgery done without knowing for sure what it is. Does it sound like my doctor is on the right track? Is there anything else that it could be besides a neuroma that a MRI and xray wouldn t have picked up. I am only 32 and can t handle this pain and as it limits my quality of life. Thank you so much for your time.
Asked On : Fri, 10 Aug 2012