Inhaled bleach and comet mixture. Burning sensation in nose and throat. Is there any side effect?

HI, I am worried as I was cleaning my bathroom and bleach and comet mixed together and sat for about 10 minutes as I was cleaning. The smell became strong and I cleaned the tub out as quickly as I could. within a couple minutes my nose and throat had a very slight burning. That was over an hour ago and the burning has gone away and I cracked a window and let the bathroom air out for about a half hour. However, should I be worried about side affects or that there is any lingering danger in my bathroom? Thank you for your help.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The fumes of bleaching powder and acid-containing toilet cleaners can be irritant to the respiratory tract. It can cause burning, and irritation of the nose and throat and sometimes even cough and wheezing.

In your case, you mention that the duration of exposure to these fumes was short and and except for a mild irritation in your nose and throat, you haven't had any other major complications. So, it is unlikely that it has caused any significant or permanent damage or ill effects. I would suggest that you avoid using the bathroom for a few hours to let all the fumes to dissipate and subside. Later on, while rinsing the residual chemicals, I would suggest that you use a mask or a cloth to cover your nose, to be on the safer side.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar