Inflexible back, consistent dull ache in the back with stiffness, thick lower back with a feeling of lump. What is the cause and cure?

I have always, even when I was a kid had problems touching my toes. My back is not flexible, I have seen an Xray of my back and all the spacing looks good but the lower back is really thick. If you rub my lower back it has a knot that you can feel. I have tried strecthing and it has not helped. My lower back does hurt, its like a dull pain and I m alway stiff, in the morning it is the worst. Any ideas on what this is and what can I do to help it. I m a 41 year old male 6 tall I weight 285 lbs (I know the weight isn t helping things) most of the weight is in my mid section so I guess that pulls on my back. Otherwise I m in good health. thanks for any help or advice you may give.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Oct 2012