Inflamed tonsils with white patches, sore throat, intermittent fever, consistent headache, swollen glands. Cause and cure?

I ll describe my symptoms, and maybe someone can tell me if it is the viral or bacteria born tonsillitis . My tonsils are inflamed with the white patches on them. My throat is incredibly sore I have a fever which comes and goes A fairly consistent headache Swollen and tender glands I went to the doctor and he gave me Amoxicillan. 40 capsules to be taken twice a day and two at a time. I started the first regiment on Tuesday, followed with Wednesday, and I just took the first dosage for Thursday. In addition to the antibiotics I take an Ibuprofen tablet to reduce pain and fever and Benadryl to try and stop the nasal drip. Gargling with salt water does not help, nor does sucking on lozenges, or drinking something hot like tea or soup, though I ve continued anyway just in case. I drink lots of water, which is very painful. The sore throat started a week ago today, but did not become severe until Tuesday. Considering the amount of time which has passed and the symptoms I described, can anyone tell me if they think I have the viral infection or the bacteria infection. Also, if it is the bacterial infection , how long until I notice a change due to the antibiotics. My glands hurt less, the headache is not as severe, and my fever seems much better (FYI).
Asked On : Sun, 28 Oct 2012