Inflamed and raised area near ankle. Had bruise, applied cold compress. Superficial thrombophlebitis?

I had a small bruise on my inside left ankle after walking into the lower part of a bench at the gym. This happened 4 weeks ago. After 2 weeks I noticed a small red spot in the same place about the size of a five cent piece. I thought I may have been biten by a midgy so put on a cold compress over the next few days. It was getting bigger after about 4 days and by now i knew that it wasnt a bite as it was not itchy. Now it is quite large, inflammed and raised. I have been to the doctor and he has told me that he thinks it is a superficial thrombophlebitis . After being on antibiotics for 10 days it doesnt seem to be getting any better.
Asked On : Wed, 14 Nov 2012