Infection of the stitches after cesarean childbirth. Opened up the stitches to remove the pus. Is it safe to open the wounds and heal of its own?

Hello Sir, My wife had a ceserian baby boy on last 25th june but after one month latter her whole stitch line got infected though it was not stitched it was termed as pasting, but after that we had consulted with a doctor and the doctor openup the stich line to remove the puss and kept it open and gave me advice of some medicine and daily dressing up the wounds will heal this up though it will take some time to heal. my question is is it the safest option to open the wounds and let it be there to healup....what is risk confuse please give some advice
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Postoperative wound infection can occur if infection was contracted before, during or after surgery or if the body is not fit enough for wound repair. In any case, when pus is seen it is best to leave the wound open with dressing for healing as stitching invariably leads to collection of pus again. The patient should be put on a healthy diet and should maintain good personal hygiene taking care not to expose the baby to the infection. The wound should be healed within 7-10 days. Take care.