Infection in vagina with white discharge. Why is it recurring? Permanent solution?

Hi, My wife (30 years old) has problem of white discharge and having infection in her vigina. she is taking medicine regularly for last one year but infection hasn t remove permanently. it comes again and again. Could you plz tell us, what is this? why this is happening? How this happens? what should we do to cure this permanently? is there any life risk?
Asked On : Sun, 20 May 2012
Urologist 's  Response

Most likely it is an yeast infection which is coming back again and again. Both the partners should be treated for this condition as this infection can travel back and forth between you and your wife.You may not have the symptoms , but you can have it silently. Avoid sexual contact till all the symptoms settle off.Use barrier protection like condoms for next 4 weeks after treatment. This should take care of the issue permanently.There is no life risk with this infection, but it is always better to be infection free all the time.

I hope this answers your query.