Infection in the joint after multiple knee replacement surgeries. Suggested to put antibiotic block in the joint. Is this a normal procedure?

hi my dad had knee replacement twice on his right knee. he has infection in around the joint which he was on antibiotic for but waas stopped on them so they could grow some cultures to see if they could match an antibiotic. in this time he developed a very bad infection in the leg ended up in hospital with bad infction which has nearly poisoned his body. was told today only option is to put in a block of antibiotic and remove the joint . have u ever heard of this.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013