Infected toe due to ingrowing toenail. Painful, slight discoloration of toe. Suggestions?

I have an infected toe from an ingrowning toenail. The doctor removed a small section of the nail that was ingrown. Now it is infected and the pain is very intense. I m taking cephalezin but it doesn t seen to be helping much. I had a blood clot at the time he took this out; the clot is gone but still trying to get my blood regulated. The doctor that took the nail out has retired. Another doctor in the same practice is wanting to take a larger portion of the nail out just as soon as I get the go- a- head from my doctor. The pain from the infection and the slight discoloring of my toe is what s worring me.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013