Infected bartholin cyst,packing strip put in incision,no swelling,no leakage

Hello my wife was diagnosed with an infected bartholin cyst about 4 days ago. They made an incision and put packing strip in it to help drain the fluids. We were told to go to our doc 2-4 days later but unfortunately we dont have one or any money of that sort. All they were supposed to do was check to see if the strip was ready to come out. The swelling is almost completely gone and there is hardly any leaking anymore. Do you think we can avoid going by taking the strip out ourselves? If possible we would much rather do that.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Apr 2012