Infant with naval infected, given Taxim-o which was expired unknowingly. Will it cause any problem?

Hello Sir, i have 2 month old son, his navel got infected so we have given taxim - o in first month and again in second month due to topfeed he got infection in stomach so without seeing we have given old taxim-o suspension is expiry was 2014 but its written on the pack that suension should be used with in 7 days. please tell me it cause any problem to my son.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
This is a very common error which parents do .Any antibiotics after constitution needs to be used in 7 days and then disposed.Fever and cough medication can be used for a longer period.The reason being the potency of the medication looses its effectitivity and sometimes gets contaminated.
So i guess observe your child and if there is anything abnormal then let him be examined by his docter.Mostly nothing should happen
take care

Pediatrician Dr. Indra Bhushan's  Response

Thanks for asking,

First of all i would like to inform you that you need not to be worried in this case, if you are saying that packing was of 2014 expiry than medicine is not expired . sometimes it is written on the medicine that after opening a product it should be consumed in limited period otherwise it will become less effective . It is better to prescribe medicine only after consulting a pediatrician .One more thing do not start top up feeding before six month of age , starting mixed feeding can result in various problems such as loose stools poor weight gain etc.