Infant with hard pointy lump on head, red. What it could be?

Hi my 7 month old baby girl just developed a hard pointy lump on her head today. I didn t see her bump it on anything. It is quite red in appearance as though it is a fresh bump but it came up early this morning and is still very red looking now. It is not an insect bite or anything because it is very hard (it feels like a sharp, pointy bone).
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013

Thank you for your query.

You have not mentioned the exact location of the swelling on the head of your daughter. Is the swelling increasing or it is of the same size since morning?

I suggest that you wait and watch the swelling. In case it increases in size or causes any problems then you need to show your daughter to a doctor as it is very difficult to give any guidance without having a look at the swelling. Insect bites can be red and quite hard in the initial stages though not bony hard.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal