Infant with chesty cough, has core temperature on the back of neck that keeps oscillating, advised to avoid drugs. Will he recover without them?

my 5 month +2wkold baby had a chesty cough for 2.5 weeks+ (we were advised we had to let his immune system fight it out - and certainly this seems better than pouring drugs into him unless absolutely necessary). He s been happy in himself, with a residual chesty cough now and again that seems better than it was (we re not taking him in the outside pool at the moment as it s unheated, but the cough is dragging on. He also often feels quite clammy and cool - his core temp on back of neck oscillates from slightly warm to quite cool.. Will he fight off this residue alone or should I get him some help. I certainly believe in letting nature do it s work where possible...thank you. (Rose, Solihull, UK)
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum,
I appreciate your effort. Very rarely you get to see such parents. If your child is getting better, you can wait but 2.5 weeks is long duration. Its worthwhile to see a pediatrician, it might be allergic which has to be treated. Better get a consult.
Hope your child gets well soon.