Infant having a purplish red spot on the cheek overnight, looks like broken blood vessels, not raised. Had a faint red mark on the same spot. What could it be?

Our son is 8 months old and woke up last Sunday with a purplish/red spot on his cheek. At first I thought he had scratched himself, with happens often- but it actually appears more like broken blood vessels and does not seem to be fading. It is on his cheek, about the size of a piece of rice. It is not raised at all. I have never noticed it before, but went back through older photos and did notice a faint red mark in the same place in some of them- so I am wondering if this may be a strawberry or some other birth mark? I do not understand why it would have darkened so quickly in just one night. We will take him to see the doctor next week but any information would be appreciated. I am attaching a photo- it actually is a bit deeper purple/red than appears in the picture.
Asked On : Tue, 17 Jul 2012