Infant has purple marks on cheeks that occasionally fade, intermittent diarrhea. Cause?

My 12 month old son has had purple marks on his cheeks for a couple of weeks now. It fades in and out but always seems present. I thought that it was due to his molars coming in and he has been a little under the weather but day to day he seems ok. The molars have not come in at all and the purple marks have been around for quite some time. He has had on again/ off again diarrhea for about two weeks (like diarrhea one poop, solid the next) and last week he had one day of vomiting but has gotten better since. I don t want my daycare worker to think I m smacking my baby but it looks like it
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013