Infant has low weight, recommended consultation with genetics doctor. What could the reason be?

my daughter is 8 months old and she weighs only 5.5kg doctor asked to go to a genetics doctor and have a checkup.why for what reason? i give her idly with milk,ghee in morning, by 10.30 i will give her banana or ceralac, then around 1.30 she will have rice with dall, with carrot or potato or mixed veg soup then i will give her nan around 3.00 then at 6.30 i will give her idly with milk then by eight i will give her either ceralac or rice mixed with rasam. is her diet ok or not. u recommend anything
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012

At 8 month of age 5.5 Kg. weight is definitely low. However it needs to be reviewed in context with the birth and subsequent weight records. Though the diet given by you seems to be fine but your daughter needs to be investigated further. Examination by a genetic doctor will be required as a last resort if all investigations fail to lead us to any possible cause for failure to gain weight.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter all the best...