Infant has lethargy, low appetite, runny nose, drowsiness, diagnosed to be viral. Prescribed antibiotics. Should it be given?

my 8 months old baby boy has shown symptoms of lethargy, not accepting food since yesterday. he has had runny nose for some time now. today evening, he has been continuously crying and has been drowsy and sleeping more than how much he used to. I visited a doctor and she recommended clamp suspension having amoxycllin and potassium clavulanate. and calpol-250 mg which is parecetamol oral suspension- BP . is the medication fine. she said that my baby has a viral infection, but she suggested an anti-biotic for the same. i have heard that antibiotics are affcetive only in case of bacterial infection . should i continue giving my child the medication since i have started with it or discontinue. is it very harmful to give anti-biotics? please suggest. thanks, miloni mishra, bhopal. india.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013