Infant has green mucus in diaper, taking antibiotics for chest congestion. Advice?

hi..i have a 7 month old boy, who was on antibiotics for chest congestion until saturday. He is better now but this morning i saw green mucous in his diaper. Now this has me worried, i do not want to subject my boy to any more antibiotics. He is otherwise, active, alert and playful. His appetite is also normal. Please advice.
Asked On : Sat, 1 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response

Some antibiotics used for chest infections or congestion can cause runny stools. In little babies, when the intestine empties really fast as in diarrhea or loose stools, the normal content of the intestine which has bile (green in colour) hurries out of the body and as it is not given time to digest the content of the intestine, unchanged bile may come out causing the green mucus in the diaper. Once the antibiotic is stopped, most of these get better. Something that helps this get better is the use of Lactobacillus powder but you would need to get the stool examined prior to that to rule out any treatable infection. Do contact me if you need any clarifications

Dr Antony Robert C
Child surgeon